The Siblings at Birth Class teaches siblings about pregnancy and birth, and ultimately help the family decide if they would like children to be present for the birth of their sibling.
I love her more than anything in the world. -Daymon Ryan, at the birth of his sister
Can you describe the Sibling Birth Class?
Why would someone want their children present at the birth?
Birth Boot Camp’s founder, Donna Ryan, has always had a passion for siblings at birth because she saw the way it helped her children welcome their new siblings. She tells this story about how her son’s presence at the birth of his youngest (and third sister) helped ease the transition when he had really wanted a brother.
When our youngest daughter was born, I held her for a long time, scared to turn her over. What if it was another girl? I would very likely never be giving my son a brother. When my husband announced it was a girl, my 8 year-old son shed big silent tears.
It was such a heartbreaking moment. Ripped my heart out, in fact. The three older kids stayed up for a while, but sometime around midnight we sent the kids to bed. He was the first one up the next morning.
He snuggled into our bed right behind his baby sister and while he was looking at her, whispered, ‘I love her more than anything in the world.’ I believe that Daymon witnessing his third sister’s birth — and finding out with everyone at the same time that the baby was a girl — greatly influenced his acceptance of that baby.
Having prepared children present at birth can be an incredible experience that every family deserves to enjoy.
What can I expect with this class? What does the cost of the class include?
This class teaches children basic information about birth and baby care in order to prepare them to greet their sibling with joy! The class includes:
- The Sibling Birth Class Workbook (see the next question for further details)
- Specially selected birth videos where children are present at the labor and/or birth of their sibling
- Instruction and games/demos for your child
- Sounds, facial expressions, and different ways that mom may act in labor
This class is private and taught in the family’s home. It is best for siblings to take class around 4-6 weeks before the estimated due date. Class is $35, plus $10 for each additional child to cover the cost of their workbook.
What is the workbook like?
The class cost includes class time, two specially selected birth videos, and a workbook for each child regarding pregnancy, birth, and sibling care. The Birth Boot Camp Sibling Birth Class Workbook includes:
- Basic and age-appropriate information about anatomy and where baby lives
- Age-appropriate education about the birth process
- Tips for your child on what they can pack for the birth in their bag
- Tips for you, the parent, on how to prepare your child for the birth
- A coloring page about your child and the new baby
- Activity page about the baby and birth
- Tips for how your child can help with the birth – we want them to feel special and useful
- Space for them to write or draw their own version of the birth story after the birth
How can I sign up?
I offer classes upon request. If you would like to take the Siblings at Birth Class and prepare your children for your amazing birth, sign up now through the Contact Page.
What if we cannot take an in-person class?
That’s ok! If you would like to go through the workbook with your children, you can order the Sibling Birth Class Workbook through Birth Boot Camp. Each child should have their own workbook.